We gave up our daily double espresso infused cappuccino (or two) for the last two weeks of February. Something dear to us, and time consuming to make and enjoy, to make more space for God. I was surprised how dependent i have become on coffee in the past two years, how much I savour and enjoy it. I had withdrawal symptoms for several days and often sorely missed my morning delight. Instead, we've been going to God in extra measure for strength, for alertness, for help to get into the day. We've gone to him with concrete questions and He has met us there. Not always with answers spelled out just the way I'd like, but with a calm confidence that He has a plan, He is good, I can trust him. After a week I felt our questions answered, but we continued the commitment we'd made, also interceding more for friends and bringing their questions and big decisions before His throne of grace.
I've realized I am not always good at finishing.
But in Christ, I am a finisher.
In Christ, I can be true to my word, finish the project, write the chapter, tackle the overwhelming, follow through.
May the God of endurance and encouragement grant you to live in such harmony with one another, in accord with Christ Jesus, that together you may with one voice glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. Romans 15:5-6
What initially stood out to me in this verse I meditated on a fortnight ago was that he is a "God of endurance and encouragement." He encourages me. I often sorely need his encouragement (especially on no coffee). To continue with my PhD. To get up when I am exhausted. To pursue friendships. To persevere in prayer for people. He cheers me on to keep going in faith, in good works. He endures. He doesn't leave a task incomplete. He doesn't give up on people. He doesn't quit when things get too hard. He doesn't get bored. Oh, how I need his endurance!
![]() |
| The mountain. |
Somehow, I couldn't believe we act finished it. We had worked on the paperwork over the course of several months. He had to drive 3 hours each way to Munich just for a doctor's appointment to prove he is perfectly healthy (and his lungs so big from his daily cycling commute the technician could hardly fit them on the x-ray). We had to pay for various forms, proofs, official translations. I had wanted to finish the application during Christmas break and felt it was a huge mountain we would never conquer amongst the rest of life's laundry, labour, loving we have to do.
But we did. We finished it. We did the next thing, and now those things are done. Amazing!
February has been a month of feeling free, following the plan of simply doing what I can do, doing the next thing. Now we have other next things, but I feel a momentum building, like we are coasting along a flat plain rather than staring at an insurmountable mountain. And soon, I know God is going to come through with the things that only He can do.
What tasks feel insurmountable to you today? Big things, little things. Stuff you hate doing and just put off? I'm tackling my mountain (of books, that pesty theory chapter I simply need to write), just doing the next thing, eating my frogs. Join me?
